St. John’s, Itchen Abbas

ItchenAbbasChurch.Exterior

Although the church has been a centre of worship since Norman times and probably earlier, the present building dates from 1862. It is primarily a stone, flint and tile building of that period but it incorporates the original Norman Chancel Arch.

It has been described as “a modest but thoroughly realized work of the Romanesque Revival …. with the character of the building as a cruciform plan”. It is that cruciform shape and magnificent barrel vaulted roof that are the features which have governed the reordering project carried out in 2009.

Features of this work have been the completion of a new vestry with kitchen and wc facilities; the replacement of all pews and choir stalls with chairs on carpet; a new electronic organ; a much enlarged gallery and improved access for disabled people. The church now seats over 160 people. It was reconsecrated by Bishop Trevor on 26th June 2009.

ItchenAbbasChurch.Interior

St John the Baptist is the second largest church in the parish and the only one to enjoy both a flexible layout and kitchen and wc facilities. Its proximity to the large modern Itchen Abbas and Avington Village Hall makes it popular for weddings. Its services and uses are being planned to reflect these advantages with concerts proposed as part of its ongoing reordering celebrations.

The Church’s post code for Sat Nav purposes is SO21 1BJ 

The Village of Itchen Abbas

Itchen Abbas is one of the larger villages in the Itchen Valley . Below is a list of links to the village hall, pub and other useful sites:

The Trout (the local pub): http://www.thetroutitchenabbas.co.uk/

TroutPub

The Village Hall: http://www.iaavillagehall.co.uk/

VillageHall
Itchen Abbas Primary School: http://www.itchenabbas.hants.sch.uk/Welcome.html

IA.PrimarySchool

Itchen Valley Parish Council Website: http://www.itchenvalleyparishcouncil.org.uk/